[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Sun Jun 4 08:29:37 MDT 2006

> If Compusa has the parts you want in the first place.  But Jack got a
> ASUS A8N5X.  How long will Compusa stock that?  And if they don't have
> one in 2 or 3 years what are the odds that his CPU and memory need
> upgrading at the same time?

Having the motherboard die on you is as bad as it gets in the "Parts
replacement" category. Since you're using Linux, in that scenario you
would be looking for any 939 motherboard.

The AMD market will migrate to AM2, and 3 years from now I'd predict that
CompUSA (Or any computer supply store.) will probably keep a token 939
board.

It's never been an issue for me though. I've never had a PC stay in the
same configuration for three years. Needs change. A year from now he might
need another machine to set up some sort of "Front end" and "Back end". Or
he might need something that will need to do an insane amount of
processing.

When you roll your own, you don't have a PC anymore. You have a collection
of parts. :)

ErikZ