[clue-tech] Running a laptop 24/7 --- possible problems

Jeff Cann president at cluedenver.org
Sun Jun 4 15:12:07 MDT 2006

bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bought a laptop to replace my aging desktop, which I tended to leave
> on 24/7.
>
> I am wondering what problems this might cause for the laptop. Anyone
> else leaving their laptop on all the time care to share problems that
> they have or can anticipate?
I leave mine on at work 5x24 (shut it down for weekends since it's a
waste of power).

I have one at home that is on 7x24.

Both are set to standby after X period of time.  This saves on the heat
issue and saves power consumption when you are not actively using the
laptop.

Being doing it this way for 5+ years with DELL and IBM laptops.

Jeff