[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Wed Jun 7 07:35:48 MDT 2006

> So tell me Erik...
>
> When you tried to set up a RAID server what sort of issues did you run
> into?
>
> I've been spending some quality time trying to get FC5 to come up.  Think
> I broke everything.

It's been a while, and it was a different setup, so I don't know how
helpful this will be...

1. The Linux drivers for SATA weren't fully implemented yet, the 2.6
kernel was still really new. I couldn't do a pure software RAID.
2. So I ended up buying a RAID card. Made a horrible choice and bought a
closed source Promise card that claimed to support Linux.
3. What they meant was that it supported specific flavors and versions of
Linux. RH9 was the last one they supported (At the time, FC3 was just
coming out. And any version of Windows.
4. Found an unsupported driver for FC2. Got it all installed and working,
and then had a friend who works with creating and testing RAIDs as part of
his job tell me I did it wrong.
5. Partitioned and formatted it correctly. It worked fine up to the point
where the frequent power outages (And my lack of battery backup) corrupted
the set.

Gave up and bought a NAS.

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable on RAID under Linux. I'd be happy to
help you research any problems you're having though. So what's the story?

Erik Z