[clue-tech] VHF radio contest madness

Ed eddythejekyll at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 08:28:21 MDT 2006

Nate,

I'd like to see the rig. I'm a (inactive) ham but think this sounds pretty
cool. I've sold all my gear except for a KPC-3+ TNC, an HF Tuner I built and
some antenna stuff. Back in the day, I worked alot of DX from my QTH in
Anchorage, but most recently packet ( though very little.)

I'll look you up and see if I can make it. Will it be out in Limon? I live
in Denver.

73, de NL7FU/0

On 6/7/06, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> This isn't 100% Linux-related, but I know there are some Ham Radio folks
> on both CLUE-Tech and BLUG that might like to see it...
>
> Some friends and I built a "Rover" station for the upcoming VHF
> Sweepstakes contest, this coming weekend.  They also put together a
> communications trailer for their operation at/near Limon, CO.
>
> The Jeep "Battlestar Butt-Ache" rover has radios and antennas for every
> Amateur band from 50 MHz (6 meters) through 1.2 GHz (microwave), and
> also a modified used Dish Networks antenna with a feedhorn on it for 10
> GHz (higher microwaves!).  The dish is riding inside and gets put on the
> roof when working microwaves.  The rest of the antennas are on a 12'
> mast on the receiver hitch, stabilized by attaching the mast to the
> luggage rack.  It has to be seen to be believed.
>
> It also has real-time Internet and mobile GPS tracking via APRS (low
> speed packet radio), so you can follow along and see where I am (or
> point your antennas at me!).
>
> The links to the fun are around the photo of it and me on the front page
> of http://www.rmham.org -- see the "click here" link that shows
> real-time location and mapping data, as well as the link to the route in
> PDF format.
>
> There's no Linux on-board this year, but there is MacOS running a TCL/TK
> app for logging contest contacts!  http://www.2ub.org/roverlog/  It'll
> run on any platform that'll do TCL/TK.
>
> Depending on time, etc... I may have low-speed GSM data on and running
> on the laptop, and might be available for IM's when safe to do so.  I'll
> post all the details at www.natetech.com before I head out on Saturday.
>
> If you're a Ham Radio operator and haven't worked the big VHF contest -
> it's a ball.  Virtually the only time around here that you'll hear
> activity on SSB on the bands above VHF!  If you have a multi-mode radio
> and can work any band above 6 meters, fire it up this coming weekend --
> you'll find you're VERY welcome and the big contesters will pile up on
> you -- especially if you're outside of Denver's Maidenhead Grid Locator
> square on the map... if you're outside of DM79, you'll be much
> sought-after as a new contact in that grid.
>
> Contest starts Saturday at noon, ends Sunday at 9PM local time.  See the
> ARRL site for rules and information.
> http://www.arrl.org/contests/calendar.html
>
> 73 DE WY0X,
>
> Nate