[clue-tech] Where to buy WRT54GL wireless routers?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Wed Jun 7 11:55:01 MDT 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Bruce Ediger <eballen1 at qwest.net> wrote:
>> Where should I go to buy a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router,
>> the closer to downtown Denver, the better.
>>
>> The "GL" is the one that has upgradeable linux firmware.
>>

> I just read about this yesterday:
> http://www.lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php
>

> It looks like you can use the DD-WRT on several of the 54g* models
>
> http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Installation#Supported_Devices
>    *  WRT54G v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.2, v3.0, v3.1, v4.0, v5.0 (2mb flash)
>    * WRT54GL v1.0, v1.1
>    * WRT54GS v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.1, v3.0, v4.0, v5.0 (2mb flash)

I'd be careful about buying anything aside from the GL model for running
custom firmware these days.  The G or GS model that most retailers carry
now is the v5 models that run VxWorks, and as you mentioned above, only
have 2mb of flash memory storage.  The DD-WRT "micro" distro is the only
3rd party firmware I've heard of that can run on these versions and
requires a few extra steps plus a JTAG cable to flash the firmware.  It
also lacks quite a bit of the functionality of the full DD-WRT distro.

The GL version on the other hand provides 4MB of flash, which can run
most all the custom firmwares and can be flashed with a normal ethernet
cable.  If you can find them, the most versatile models were the GS,
versions 1-3.  These provided 8MB of flash storage and 32MB RAM..

Wikipedia has a great section on WRTs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

-Ken