[clue-tech] Eclipse: What are people using it for

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jun 8 17:57:29 MDT 2006

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
[...]
> We did "standardize" about a year ago on IntelliJ for our IDE, and it seemed
> to highlight just how much Eclipse can sometimes be sluggish. However,
> IntelliJ does not have the autobuild feature that Eclipse now has turned on
> by default, and so I never really moved over to IntelliJ.

I'm curious about autobuilding.  Does it give you a different
environment than production and hide some issues until testing or
integration that could be found earlier?  Do things build differently
for the developers than for the build master due to environmental
differences?

When I was a developer I also did all the CM, build management, and
release management.  We had a process for managing the software leading
up to a release including building and packaging it for installation on
the production system.

It was possible for the developers to run their code on their own
environment that matched production, and to build, install, and
configure using the same process I used.  They could also update
individual files without rebuilding everything but that was somewhat manual.

But we sometimes had problems if the developers did things differently,
like running on their laptops in an environment they created themselves.
  Because some developers didn't understand the production environment
and I didn't understand their custom environments (and couldn't take
their laptop away to troubleshoot) it could be hard to debug these things.