[clue-tech] Will battery replacements with more power hurt the system?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jun 8 22:01:59 MDT 2006

Sorry for my previous post.  Clumsy.

bof wrote:
> My laptop came with a six cell battery rated at 11.1 V, 4800 mAh with a
> 3.0 hour life. When I went to buy a replacement from the manufacturer,
> all I could find was an eight cell battery rated 14.4 V, 4800 mAh with a
> 4.5 hour life.

The voltage is what matters and I would expect it to be the same.  But
there are regulators in various places that might not care whether they
have more or less.  So it's hard to say.

You've probably seen PC power supplies with a switch for 115v or 220v
and it would be bad to plug in 220v without switching them.  But you've
also probably seen things like the Dell laptop adapters that say
100-240v and work with both.

Are you sure you have the specs right?  What model batteries are they?
What laptop?