[clue-tech] Shame shame

Al Kroeger owaugly at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 17 05:08:43 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

> All of you who missed the fine presentation by VMware on Tuesday
> night, shame on you for not turning out. One of the best presentations
> in a long time. If I understand correctly, we have David Wilson to
> thank for arranging this presentation.
>
> I've just downloaded my copy of VMware workstation, and now I need to
> figure out how to make it work.

I couldn't make it to the presentation.  I have had VMware installed
since March of 2005, and it is really a powerful program.  For those who
just want/need to run a full-blown Windows installation, and all its
applications, WinPro, by Win4Lin, does an excellent job for a bit less
than half the price of VMware.  I've tried both, and settled on WinPro.
It was easier to install, it is just as portable, and getting my old
Canon MultiPass C5500 to work with WinPro was a snap.  I never did get
it to work with VMware.
Nothing against VMware, mind you.  It is a great program.  But it is not
the only game in town.  Before I actually put my money down for any
product, I would shop around and test-drive as many as I could.  Unless
you really need all the features of VMware, you might do better with one
of the other, less expensive alternatives.  Maybe even VMware's
VMPlayer, which is free ..... can't beat that price.
Just my opinion.
owa