[clue-tech] Shame shame [OT - why GPL?]

Jeff Cann president at cluedenver.org
Sun Jun 18 23:06:42 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

<snip of Collins' opine>
> In less sarcastic mode: I have no objection to the presence of GPL
> software. We all benefit from it greatly. By the same token, I have no
> objection to non GPL software. If you build a better mousetrap (GPL or
> otherwise), the world will beat a pathway to your door, and you won't
> need to cooerce manufacturers and users a la M$.

Collins,

I don't want to start an OT flame war, but just to provide the
alternative point of view to your sarcasm regarding 'evil' modules.
Some of us [me at least] do not agree with the 'build a better
mousetrap' analogy because I/we value intrinsic freedoms that we retain
by using GPL software.

Further, some companies [Netscape, e.g.,] did build a better mousetrap
[Navigator] and were crushed by a certain proprietary software rival.  I
think you know to whom I refer.  My point is that outside our 'best
engineer wins' mindset [so prevalent in our crowd of computer guys],
there is an entirely different game being played, with an entirely
different set of rules.  Rather than being hosed by those rules, the GPL
invented another set.  Kinda clever if you think about it:  can't win
the proprietary software game?  Invent a new game and win that instead.
But, let me direct you to the guy who was motivated enough to do
something about it:

 + http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

Enjoy another [equally biased] point of view :)

Jeff