[clue-tech] Network Woes

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 20 19:55:50 MDT 2006

Jim Ockers wrote:
[...]
>>When DSL is up and running, it immediately connects with the local
>>server and is off and running.  I don't think any of this addresses
>>my DSL woes, but does it indicate an obvious misconfiguration of my
>>DNS server?
>
> I would say that the DNS server running on 192.168.1.2 is failing to
> properly respond to requests while the DSL is down.

I'd agree.  Likely BIND is trying to look up the name for the asker's IP
and incorrectly going out to the Internet to get it.  So if your client
is 192.168.1.3, try this:

host 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.2

(host can be easier to use than dig for simple queries.)  That should
show you whether your reverse zones are correct.