[clue-tech] How I fixed my ndiswrapper dhclient problem.

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Wed Jun 28 08:08:50 MDT 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:

> Using a supported wireless card (Motorola WN825G v3) under ndiswrapper,
> I was trying to configure this card to use the WEP encryption [Fedora
> Core 4, kernel 2.6.9-1.667, ndiswrapper 1.5].
>
> Here's my wireless LAN config [values changed to protect the innocent]
> from my actiontec modem [Qwest]
>
>    Authentication Type:   Open
>    Key 1:  4D 34 EF D5 2A
>    ESSID : MYWAP

Awesome! Jeff saves the day again!

Coupla' questions, tho':

  * How would you obtain the above information if you were, say, at a
    coffee shop where the staff (amazingly!) lacked expertise in wireless
    networking?

  * Is the "Key 1" property needed for WEP, and only for that, or is it
    more generally applicable?

> NEW:
>    modprobe ndiswrapper
>    iwconfig wlan0 essid MYWAP key 4D34EFD52A
>    sleep 10
>    dhclient wlan0
>
> For whatever reason, this allows me to get a dhclient lease.  I wanted
> to post in case someone else runs into this same problem.

And thank you ... unfortunately, as I think we've discussed before, the
required commands seem to depend on several factors, including the card,
the specific driver you're using and ... something about the kernel. The
'sleep 10' command is a good insight, though.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/