[clue-tech] Disabling modules in 2.6/udev.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jun 28 20:29:22 MDT 2006

This took me a while to figure out, so maybe you've been wondering about
it too.

So in the 2.4 days you disabled modules by aliasing them to off.  You
didn't have to do that much though because they mostly didn't get loaded
until you accessed a node in /dev.

With 2.6 we get udev and a dynamic /dev tree.  Instead of loading a
module when you open /dev/foo you have to load the module to create
/dev/foo.

So I notice a bunch of new (not necessarily wanted) modules now that I'm
using udev.  But for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to stop
them from loading.  It turns out that discover-modprobe is loading them
at boot and you can tell it to skip things in discover-modprobe.conf.

Boy is that a weight off my chest.  Of course the one I wanted gone most
(capabilities) has gone away by itself.