[clue-tech] Libraries, run-time linking, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and ld.so.conf

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:57:08 MST 2006

On 3/3/06, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> The upgrade to FC4 was nearly painless. However, I've run smack into a
> problem which I ran into a while back when attemptiing to upgrade just
> Mozilla and Galeon. For whatever reasons (parameters set by the guy who
> built the Galeon RPM I used?) Galeon 2.x doesn't know about
> /usr/lib/mozilla... library files, and so will fail, complaining that it
> can't find libgtkembedmoz. The short workaround is to invoke it thusly:
>
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8 galeon

My $.02.

Since you have a workaround, I would just code up an alias for galeon
with the correct LD_LIBRAY_PATH and wait for the Fedora packagers to
straighten out the mess. Of course, you might have to wait as long as
FC5 for that <grin>.

--
Collins Richey
      The agnostic dyslexic insomniac lies awake wondering if there is a dog.