[clue-tech] NetServer LH3R and Linux...what's a good RAID config?

Tue Mar 7 23:20:51 MST 2006

I think SuSE 9.1 will work.  The most you'll be able to get out of RAID5 will be 48GB,
by putting all the spindles in the volume.  You could go RAID0 and get the full 54GB,
but you lose the file-system if any member fails.

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:59:23 -0800, Hex Star wrote
> Hi, this time I'm here for Linux advice so hopefully I'll be able to get
> some good help :-). I've successfully setup my NetServer LH3R with
> Windows2000 but am now looking towards installing Suse 9.1 instead since
> Suse 9.1 has so many more possibilities built into it. The server specs are
> (in case these are needed): 2xPentium III 500MHz, 1GB RAM, 6x9GB HDs
> (currently configured as 2 HDs for a RAID1 making a drive of 9GB, and the
> rest as RAID5 for 27GB) and 2x10/100 *Intel(r) PRO/100+ Management Adapter*,
> the RAID controller is a embedded HP NetRAID controller. First question
> is...anyone have any idea if the hardware will work OK with Suse 9.1? Second
> question is, I'd like all the drives to appear as one 54GB HD, what RAID
> setup should I use to accomplish this? Thanks! :-)

David L. Willson
Trainer/Engineer/Consultant
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
(720) 333-LANS