[clue-tech] Distro match maker.

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Wed Mar 8 01:05:12 MST 2006

David L. Willson top-posted:
> It picked me three, and the first two were even in the right order.  Guess it's time to
> try Mandriva.
>
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:07:56 -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote
>> Here's a site that will help you find your one, true, lifetime distro:
>>
>> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Way off-base for me. It picked:

   Mandriva
   Debian
   Kubuntu
   Ubuntu
   SuSE
   Fedora

Mandriva?? I don't like RPM, don't like systems that try to automate all
the configuration (even if they succeed, which has rarely happened for
me), and especially don't like distributions that hack their packages in
ways that make them incompatible with the rest of the world. (BTW, I
said I didn't know or didn't care about the package manager, since there
was no way to say "anything but RPM")

Debian: Isn't that the one I got tired of a couple years ago? Extended
explanation may be found in the CLUE mailing list archives.

Kubuntu: see Ubuntu

Ubuntu: tried it once and, well, OK, a Debian LiveCD with GNOME. That's
nice. I don't like to run the GNOME desktop. Or KDE. Bye.

SuSE: OK, that's a little better. I've tried it briefly and was
favorably impressed. Good German engineering or something like that. If
I were going to use an RPM distro, SuSE would be my first choice.

Fedora: I think not! I used RedBloat for 4 years, and came to strongly
dislike it. For reasons, see Mandriva.

Then it listed Arch Linux, my current favorite, as one that was not
quite right. It said:

   Failed these criteria:
   # Appropriate for more experienced users
   # Does not have application library

?? After I said I had advanced skills, know how to partition a hard
drive, prefer text-mode installation ... do I have to be, like, friggin'
Alan Cox to use Arch Linux? As for not having an "application library,"
I guess I don't know what they mean by that. Seems like Arch has plenty
of applications.

Oh well. It was good entertainment if nothing else.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/