[clue-tech] Distro match maker.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 8 22:19:28 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> Given what it arrived at for my "top" choices, it doesn't seem too useful.
> But maybe that's because I gave it no preference for package management,
> and told it I'm an experienced, expert Linux user already. Also, given the
> question on stable well tested, stable cutting edge, and experimental, I'd
> think they'd differentiate between Debian stable, testing, and unstable.

I told it expert, and no preference for packaging (because I wanted to
see what it said without skewing it away from RPM).  It still came up
Debian (maybe there's a random factor to keep us experts jumping).

> It'd be interesting to know what choices it comes up with for newbies, and
> what answer sets arrived at those recommendations.

Yes, that's what I'd be interested in.  Obviously knowing what I know
about distros I'm bound to pick answers that match what I run.  But for
newbies who don't know enough to care I wonder how happy they'd be
trying the recommendations.  Might be good if the questions were a
little more descriptive and feature oriented (e.g., do you a desktop
that runs really fast, or is easy to use, or is pretty, or is ...)

> It should've asked what type of internet connection is available. I'd hate
> to see it recommend LFS or Gentoo for somebody on dialup.

You might recommend that to them.  Or something like preferred method
and frequency of updates.