[clue-tech] Seeing Linux files on Windows

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Mar 15 09:47:57 MST 2006

Chris Ernst wrote:

> Kevin Cullis wrote:
>
>> Primarily I'm talking about seeing files on a drive of some sort.
>> I've taken a look at explore2fs and its looks exactly what I would be
>> looking for. What are the et al or explore2fs?
>

> Even easier than explore2fs (IMHO) is the ext2/ext3 IFS
> http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html.  In essence, it just adds support
> for ext2/ext3 filesystems to Windows.  You assign a drive letter and
> they work just like native filesystems.

Explore2fs and IFS from fs-driver.org didn't work very well for me.
Explore2fs would give me files of zero bytes sometimes, and the IFS
would mark my ext3 fs as unclean or something, and I was suspecting it
was corrupting data (although I can't really remember).

The thing I don't like is that the IFS isn't open source (or else I
think it would already be much much better than it is today).  I
contacted the owner of fs-driver.org, but I could only ever get two
answers:  1) don't let windows hibernate (which I never do anyway), and
2) it shouldn't do that (or it doesn't do that for anyone else).  And
the person really had no intention on fixing it or doing more work on it
apparently, so I gave up.

Angelo