[clue-tech] nifty linux desktop graphics tricks

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Mar 18 12:20:00 MST 2006

Hex Star wrote:
> I like GUI special effects, to me it adds to the elegence of the OS

Yeah, many people do. And nobody's saying that nice graphics aren't
nice. What bothers me (and, I think, Jed too) is that--as everyone knows
who's ever tried it--nice graphics take a lot of effort to develop. And
some people appear to believe that having more and better eye candy will
attract new users en masse to Linux, which is probably untrue.

So, my position is, if you want to make nice graphics for Linux
desktops, great! I'll probably use them and appreciate your effort. But
do it because you enjoy doing it, or enjoy the results. If the goal is
to produce a better/more usable/more popular Linux desktop, your time is
better spent elsewhere--e.g. improving desktop applications, or GUI
*behavior*.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/