[clue-tech] WYSIWYG for Qt or Tk and PERL

Jeff Falgout jfalgout at ogov.net
Thu Mar 23 18:31:56 MST 2006

dperkins at frii.com said:

> You didn't say what problems you are having, but here are a few comments.

I've sent out a example - the buttons are piled on top of the text field.

> Are you using frames?  You probably are, but if not, they help you
> organize your window into manageable sections.

I obviously need to look at frames - I hadn't come across them yet.

> If you are using pack, in general, you probably don't want to mix
> left/right with top/bottom placement.  You should add another frame
> instead.
>
> You don't want to mix geometry managers in a frame.  You can safely use
> pack in one frame, and grid in another.

<SNIP>
> 4. If you are using scrollbars, pack the scrollbars before you pack text,
> list, or canvas.

This is alot to digest - I'll work through these suggestions (Thanks!)-
I'm basically letting pack do what it wants. I tried using grid - it was
better, but not quite there.

> Have you read the Perl/Tk book?  Unfortunately, it doesn't include the
> latest changes to Tk, but Practical Programming In Tcl And Tk can help
> there.

I'm working off of the "Mastering Perl/TK" (1st ed) included in the The
Perl CD Bookshelf v3 - albiet very slowly.

Jeff