[clue-tech] Thunderbird junk training

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue May 2 09:09:44 MDT 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> According to the firefox FAQ, this article describes how to setup NS
> 7.1 / FireFox for Junk email filtering:
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Fighting_Junk_Mail_with_Netscape_7.1
>
> Two questions.
>
> 1.  I turned on the logging to see what the app marks as junk. I
> noticed that when I manually mark it as junk, it is not in the log.
> Is this what other people see?  It seems like it should log anything
> related to clicking the 'junk' icon.

Hmmm, I'm not using it.  I think I tried it once, and it didn't do
anything useful for me.

> 2.  Currently, I have not created junk folders.  I unchecked 'move
> junk' option until it's better trained [this was the recommendation
> from the article].  The question is what do I do with those mails
> marked as junk?  It seems like if I delete them, this could affect
> training.  I'm not sure though.

I would actually suggest just creating the Junk folder and letting it
collect there.  Just don't use the automatic delete option.

> I appreciate other suggestions for training.  I actually don't get too
> much spam [most is trapped by google], but for some other accounts I
> am getting 2-8 messages a day.

Actually I've noticed that lately the thunderbird filter isn't working
as well as it used to.  I'm getting about 2 messages a day that have
been going through.