[clue-tech] mail works some of the time

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue May 9 19:41:35 MDT 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 5/5/06, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
[...]
>> Can you tell us more about the script that's sending the mails?  How do
>> you update it?  What user does it run as?  What kind of server is it and
>> what else does it do besides host your script?  By "no direct access" do
>> you mean you can't log in?  But you can load and run scripts, right?
>
> The script sending the mail is Drupal - using the php "mail" function
> - line 404 of
>
> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/drupal/modules/user.module?annotate=1.612.2.5
>
> I'm not sure the user that it is running as.

So it looks like Drupal runs postfix to send the mail, as user 161044.
Postfix probably accepts the mail locally so you get no error message.
When the receiving MTA bounces the message you don't get that either.

[...]
>> You said that incoming mail works fine.  What does that mean?  Any mail
>> sent to the script user shows up where?  If the script user can get mail
>> you'd probably have seen bounces.
>
> Meaning mail sent to the domain from other hosts gets distributed to
> the accounts that I have setup.  At least I haven't heard of any
> messages getting dropped on that side.

So that's not very relevant.  When you're talking about a user sending
mail, "incoming" mail is only relevant if it means mail delivered to
that user (which is where bounces ought to go and those are what tell
you what the problem is).  Mail coming in to your domain is probably
handled by a completely separate system.

More later.