[clue-tech] IBM SSA disks?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Tue May 9 22:46:39 MDT 2006

I went to see this guy today who had a bunch of stuff he wanted to get rid of,
and I was looking for electronics scrap.  Among the stuff snagged on the first
trip are:

- "Cooling unit",  this is marked "model 052C" and all I can see are a couple
of fans and a connector on the other end,  appears to be for some kind of IBM
racks,  I have two of these.

- Power supplies,  "Lucent Technology C5892B",  I have two of these as well.

- A box that was "sealed by IBM" until I opened it and apparently containing a
"7137 Disk Array Subsystem",  complete and certified and such,  with some
paperwork in a loose-leaf binder,  I didn't unpack it any further than that.

- Power aupplies and drive assemblies for "IBM 7133 HD Rack Assy" and also the
racks.  I believe there is some large number of these,  but I haven't had the
chance to count things up yet.

There's a lot more,  and this is going to take multiple more trips for me to
end up with all of this stuff before I'll know what I have.

I've gotten a hold of some nontrivial number of these disks,  and will be
getting the racks and the power supplies that go with them,  and I *hope* the
cabling and a PCI card to plug in to the computer to interface them with...

What I'm wondering about is drivers.  Do any of you guys know of any good
places where I might look for drivers for something like this?

How about drivers for these:

- A tape drive (?) marked "Exabyte Corporation" and "Model HH CTS",  I
probably have more than one of these.  Pushing open the tape door shows a
head in there that bears a slight resemblance to a video head,  but
smaller.  It's got some kind of rails on it and a (single) connector on the
back that I don't recognize,  probably for some IBM system.  The drive
appears to have standard 4-pin power and pin header (50-pin?) going to this.

I'm doing a bit of poking around in google and elsewhere,  but any assistance
with this would be much appreciated...

-
M Dakin