[clue-tech] Need help getting quotas to work

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu May 18 19:17:23 MDT 2006

Hex Star wrote:
> so how would I go about getting this to work? Thanks!
I use version 1, but I think they're the same--I remember I did all the
same steps.  Basically, you have to make sure you have usrquota option
set in /etc/fstab.  e.g.

/dev/hda6       /home           ext3
defaults,nosuid,nodev,usrquota     0       2

(you might have to remount the filesystem after this, but since it's an
option in whatever interface you're using, it's probably already there)

They say you shouldn't build the quota database while the filesystem is
on, but... I don't know how you would be able to create the database if
it's read-only because the database has to be written to the root
directory of the partition.  (So that means I have a file called
quota.user in /home, or use aquota.user for version 2)

To create the database use quotacheck with some options depending on
what you want:

-v verbose
-c create a new database
-u user quotas
-g group quotas (actually I don't use this)
-F vfsv0 (this is for version 2, or:  -F vfsold for version 1, -F xfs
for XFS)

Then just quotaon -avu[g]

Use edquota to set quotas for a user (there are some options for copying
quotas from a pre-existing user), and repquota to see how they are set
on the system

Angelo