[clue-tech] Compiling PHP under FC5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 19 19:02:25 MDT 2006

Collins> On 5/19/06, erik at ezolan.com <erik at ezolan.com> wrote:
>> > yum list 'php*' to see all of the php packages.
>>
>> gah. Livna is getting 404s from all it's mirrors.  To fix I had to:
>> rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
>>
>> which wouldn't install until I removed package
>> "yum-fedorafaq-4-2005.11.29"
>>
>> I think this was the issue. None of the livna packages were showing
>> up in yum. Yum extender didn't have checked as one of it's
>> repositories so it wasn't giving me any errors.
>>
>> > You probably want:
>> >
>> > yum install php-mysql <snip> > yum install php-devel
>>
>> Installing php-mysql seems to have satisfied the requirements. I'll
>> install php-devel later when I want to use sqlite.
>>
>> Thanks for the help! I was really stuck. :-)

Collins> It's been a whil since I worked with RH stuff, but the one
Collins> thing I remember from CentOS days: mixing Livna packages with
Collins> anything else is a recipe for disaster, or at the very least,
Collins> frustration. Dag is a much higher quality source of packages.

I haven't installed anything from Dag in a while (with extras and
livna pretty much everything I use is available there), so I can't
comment on their quality recently...

However, liva is very very high quality in my experence. They do a
very good job of making sure they don't step on any other packages and
do very high quality packaging.

Perhaps you are thinking of atrpms? While the packages there are nice,
they are very very quick to replace core packages with their own for
pretty much any reason. For example, for a long time they had their
own version of rpm that overode the core rpm.

To each their own, but I am pretty impressed that liva can package the
ati X driver and make it not overwrite anything, let you switch back
and forth from it and the native X driver, and work nicely. (The ati
installer does none of these by default).

Just my 2cents. :)

kevin