[clue-tech] Qwest DSL download speed reduced

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu May 25 21:30:23 MDT 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> Really? I just ordered Qwest "Internet Basic" DSL, and they told me 7Mb
> for $39.99/mo (promo deal for 1 year).

Whoa...  Jed's getting broadband?  Who will answer our PPP questions
now? ;-)

> So ... how does one tell what the actual speed is?

I think DSL is a synchronous thing, so the modem may tell you what the
rate is.  Mine says 1536 Kbps for downstream data rate at the moment.
Naturally that says nothing about throughput or overhead.

dslreports or similar services can give you an idea, or you can watch
the behavior of various sites you use.