[clue-tech] 64-bit software use

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri May 26 02:39:13 MDT 2006

bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, I finally broke down today and, after seven years, bought a new
> laptop with a AMD Turion (64-bit) chip in it.
>
> I have some questions on 64-bit software and its use.
>
> Most of my computer use is for web-browsing, email, writing, and some
> small programming and databasing. Would it benefit me to run a 64-bit OS
> and software? I am currently using Fedora Core 5, and would continue to
> do so in its 64-bit version.
>
> What about running 32-bit programs under a 64-bit OS if I can't find a
> 64-bit version of the program. Would this create problems?
>
> Any other advice on the pros and cons of using 64-bit software?

My understanding (which is limited here) is that you will certainly see
a benefit from running a 64-bit kernel when the application you are
using also supports 64-bit.  32-bit applications on the other hand do
not run natively on 64-bit systems yet and will require emulation
libraries or setting up a 32-bit chroot environment to work.

 From reading a recent Linux Journal article (not first hand knowledge
here), Suse 10's 64-bit version is more polished than either Ubuntu's or
Fedora's and includes nice things such as working Java and Flash out of
the box.

What I can say with first hand experience is that 64-bit Gentoo does
require bit more tweaking to build a fully functional desktop system
with things such as flash, java, mplayer and nvidia drivers.. but if you
run Gentoo you're used to that anyway :)
-Ken