[clue-tech] Qwest DSL download speed reduced

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri May 26 12:05:24 MDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nate Duehr wrote:

> I'm PPPoA on Qwest's Englewood Central Office.  But I'm also tied to FRII as
> my ISP.

Thanks for bringing that up.  I've been wanting to put a linux box
with 2 ethernet card in it between my DSL router (Cisco 675!) and the
rest of my basement-area network, so that I can see what crap packets
come to me.

Right now, I have the Cisco 675 in "routing" mode, which means it has
an IP address visible to the world, presents itself as 10.0.0.1 to
the basement-area network, and does DHCP to machines on the basement-area
network.

I've tried to google for how-tos, etc to find out what I need to do to
interpose a linux box between DSL router and basement-area network,
but other than putting the Cisco 675 into "bridging" mode, I don't
find anything.

Does anybody know what I'd have to do, or has anybody done this?

I'm running a mix of Slackware machines: 10.1, 10.0 and 10.2, with
an unfortunate Windows XP laptop every once in a while, plus I'm
trying to get Minix 3.1.2 on an old 250 MHz frankenstein's scrapbox
monster.  In case any of that makes a difference.

--
Bruce Ediger
720-932-1954
eballen1 at qwest.net