[clue-tech] Qwest DSL download speed reduced

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri May 26 13:13:26 MDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Bruce Ediger wrote:
>> I've tried to google for how-tos, etc to find out what I need to do to
>> interpose a linux box between DSL router and basement-area network,
>> but other than putting the Cisco 675 into "bridging" mode, I don't
>> find anything.
>>
>> Does anybody know what I'd have to do, or has anybody done this?
>
> I think what you're looking for is a "bridging firewall" setup for Linux.

Almost.  In "routing" mode the Cisco 675 does DHCP and NAT.  The way
that the 675's NAT works, only well-known port-numbered TCP and UDP
packets get in to my network.

I want to do away with the C675 doing NAT and DHCP and any filtering:
everything comes in to a short segment of CAT-5 cable, connected to some
machine with 2 ethernets.  That machine does the DHCP, NAT, firewalling,
etc on the basement-area-network side, and from its console, I can look
at whatever goofy packets come in, be they TCP, UDP or ChaosNet.

Also, I can see more of what the Qwest DSLAM allows in to the Cisco 675.

--
Bruce Ediger
720-932-1954
eballen1 at qwest.net