OT: Apple service [was [clue-tech] Qwest DSL download speed reduced]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat May 27 12:40:25 MDT 2006

[ Much thoughtful stuff from Nate and Dave snipped ]
As usual, I'm very much in the middle with respect to these viewpoints.

I would have no problem buying an Apple product, but I'm such a
cheapskate. When I have a perfectly good PC with a lot of disk space
for free Linux experimentation, who needs it. . Also, I bought a
laptop (working fine as dual boot), but that was before I discovered
how much I loathe using a laptop.

OTOH, I would prefer never again in this lifetime to have a M$ product
Right now my biggest PITA is my wife's WinXP box. There is no virus
protection software made that will prevent this box from being eaten
every two years. Nevertheless, some of the nicest available products
(my wife's PhotoDeluxe and Hallmark cardmaking software, for example)
are Windows only. Sigh! If only the Wine developers and/or Crossover
Office developers would pay attention to these products. You can run
M$ Office and PhotoShop on Crossover Office, but who wants to pay
Mongo Bucks to do what we already have for free.

I had my wife using my Linux box for email and browsing for the few
days it took to have her WinXP box reworked, and OO is certainly a
good substitute for M$ Office, but there's no way she would give up
her most usesful tools.

Sad and broken hearted in Aurora <grin>.

--
Collins Richey