[clue-tech] [Fwd: [clue-admin] Advice admin newb on doing a System backup]

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 12:59:30 MST 2006

To be more specific, rsync your data to a remote
array, then then dump this data from the array to
tape.
This can become problematic. The concept increaseses
your backup time efficiency but in a heterogenous
environment can lead to problems eluded to before.

It seems that Sun Microsysystems fixed this problem in
June 2006. The example that I am eluding to is the bit
layout of UFS. Speaking of Sun, the bits are "flipped"
betweem x86 and ultra 64 UFS filesystems.

It is no problem unless you are doing bare metal
restore. It is not isolated to Sun. At least Sun
recognizes the problem and are working on it with ZFS.

I agree with one of the earlier posters that "a backup
is only as good as the restore". I have argued this
for years. You can backup until the cows come home.
But if you can't restore ... you are still shit out of
luck.

It might seem reversed but you do have to look at the
restore plan before you design the backup.

The internal dump and restore work fine for me under
RedHat linux. I also use the same techniques with
Solaris 9 & 10.

Again one does have to be careful with the "bit
flipping" which is actually an endian problem.

I have found that when I directly connect the tape
drive and dump I can restore bare metal. Both with
linux and Solaris.

I have heard nonsense like the existense of a global
filesystem that works for all unix. I think that is
bullshit, but if it exists I am very interested.

I haven't gotten answers from SAN manufactures, but I
think they run into the same problem. Only one
controlling node defines the filesysystems on shared
disk space.If your kernel "understands" read and write
on many filesystems then it will work.

But as far as I know it doesn't.

-Mike