[clue-tech] Compiling drivers in SuSE 8.2

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 7 20:56:06 MST 2006

Joe Wojcik wrote:
> I am still trying to compile madwifi for my Atheros wireless pcmcia
> card. My computer is too small for SuSE 10.0 or 10.1. I have unzipped and unpacked
> the trarball and when I try "make" I get a message /bin/sh:line 1: cd
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/build No such file or directory
> Makefile.inc:89 ***/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/build is missing, please set
> KERNEL PATH. stop
> When I look at /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB, there is a build but when I try to
> open build, it tells me it can't find /usr/lsrc/linux-2.4.20-SuSE
> The only kernel I can find is opt-linux-2.4.20-SuSE-8.2
> What am I missing? Can I expect some help at the Installfest?

build is a link into /usr/src/, probably.  I have a linux-headers
package (that matches my kernel) and that's what puts the link source on
the system.  So if you find the right headers package you can move on to
the next glitch.

Obviously in order to build a module, which is a bit of kernel code, you
need the kernel headers where they can be found.

By any chance does madwifi have a list of what you need to build it?
Perhaps in an INSTALL file, or on the web site?  Following that would
probably help.

I don't know anything about wifi or compiling modules but I've helped
people do it before.  So come on out.