[clue-tech] using screen as init

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Nov 10 10:20:12 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:05 -0700, Jim Ockers wrote:
> We have to do something like this so one can log in and have a look at
> a GUI curses app that runs at startup on the console and which requires
> user interaction.  Of course the system is headless and has no key-
> board, and the only way to talk to it is over the network.

Why not run an init script that starts up screen that then starts the
curses app.  This would be simpler than trying to replace init with
screen and running init inside of screen.  You could run even run the
screen launching utility on a VT in inittab (instead of running it as an
init script).  That has the advantage of restarting the utility should
the curses app exit.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org