[clue-tech] using screen as init

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Nov 10 10:49:21 MST 2006

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi CLUEbies,
>
> What do you think about using screen as the kernel's init process, so
> that everything (including the real init) runs in a pseudo-tty inside
> the screen session?  Then one could log in via telnet or ssh or whatever
> and use screen -R to hook into the screen session and see what's going
> on on the console.

Well, when a process is orphaned init inherits it.  I think that means
PID 1.  So maybe screen doesn't know how to handle those and you get
lots of zombies or other wierdness.

If you have respawn lines in your inittab they may not work.  Changing
run levels may not work either.

And of course hooking into screen depends on a child ssh/telnet running.
  So if the child stuff hangs up you won't be able to get in to see the
screen.  Not that you care in this case.

Seems worth a try though.  Might even make an interesting journal
article regardless whether it works.  Take notes.