[clue-tech] A tip from Saturday's Installfest

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 12 10:09:44 MST 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

> This means that all primary partitions permitted for a harddrive were
> in use, thus rendering the new free space we had created (between sda1
> and sda2) "unusable space". The solution was simple. We deleted the
> swap space, and then the partitioner was able to create a new extended
> partition where we could allocate new swap space and a root partition.
>
> Keep this one in mind -  a max of 4 primary partitions for a harddrive
> one of which can be extended.

Nifty tip/note!  I ran into something similar once, also.

It's amazing how the original 8088-based IBM PC legacy "DOS junk" still
follows us around like a ghost even in 2006 on the PC platform, isn't
it?  Talking directly to hardware like serial ports, parallel ports, and
the like is also still highly convoluted, even in Linux.

There really is no technical reason partitioning systems couldn't have
gotten much smarter over the years, (and even had backward compatibility
with the old system), other than little true need for the majority who
use Windows from day 1 through the death of the hardware.

Nate