[clue-tech] Installfest hot wash.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 12 22:47:33 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:14:45 -0700
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>>Well, it's a feature of the DOS partition table.  fdisk understands BSD
>>disklabels and can create Sun disklabels.  So you aren't forced to use
>>the DOS style (and I didn't on my old Alpha).
>
> Soooo ....
>
> If I were to partition a HD using a different labelling type, would Linux
> install/boot okay?

Yes.  At least it did on the Alpha.  There could be some hardware
restrictions on x86 since the BIOS requires some things out of the MBR
(where the partition table lives).  Hmm...  Perhaps the BIOS needs (at
least in some cases) to read the partition table, since it's possible to
put boot loaders on partition boot sectors.

If you have a spare disk try putting a Sun disklabel on it.  I'll try it
next time I work on an install but that won't be soon.