[clue-tech] spam-jacked

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Nov 28 18:51:48 MST 2006

David L. Willson wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea what to do when a spammer uses a valid email
> address, that you're responsible for, as the return address on their
> spam?  My users (and I) are getting flooded with NDRs and rejection
> messages from anti-spam systems that think we're sending things we're
> not sending.  Any ideas?

One thing that will help "some" is to make sure you publish SPF records
for your domains.  If the spam recipients have at least a halfway
competent mail admin then their server should not send any bounces to
mails that hard fail an SPF query..

Of course even half competent mail admins seem to be a rare breed these
days so this is only marginally successful.
-Ken