[clue-tech] sa-update

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Oct 6 13:35:53 MDT 2006

Well, I set up a cron job to run sa-update nightly using this script:

MAILTO=""
0 03 * * * sa-update && service spamassassin restart

That should take care of my rules getting updated very often, which I
think goes a long way to SA actually catching new spam.  The only way I
used to get them was by waiting for a new version to be released, then
I'd upgrade the RPM.  Now I get rule updates whenever they get released,
which makes me happy. I'm still not able to get SA to work with DCC.
Here are the relevant parts of my maillog:

dccifd[32315]: 1.3.37 listening to /etc/dcc/dccifd

spamd[32355]: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
'DCC_CHECK'

dccifd[32315]: 1.3.37 detected 0 spam, ignored for 0, rejected for 0,
and discarded for 0 targets among 0 total messages for 0 targets since
10/05/06 00:00:00

If somebody could help me fix this, I'd be forever grateful. But yes,
now that I have SA checking more things, it does take longer - but
that's a price I'm willing to pay for less interruptions during the day
from spam. Here are some settings from my local.cf file in SA:

rewrite_header Subject [SPAM (_SCORE_)]
report_safe 2
use_razor2 1
use_pyzor 1
trusted_networks 66.185.98.
required_score 4.5
use_bayes 1
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC
# DCCifd Options
use_dcc 1
dcc_timeout 10
dcc_home /var/dcc
dcc_path /var/dcc
ok_locales en
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_RBL 2.0
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_DUL 1.0
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_RSS 2.0
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_NML 2.0

With SA 3.1.5, I'm pretty happy with the results.  Since last night, I
have gotten 75 spam emails - only 2 of which snuck through.  Both of
those had Razor checks come through, but it wasn't enough to send them
into my junkmail folder.  Maybe I should raise the razor score - but I
think I'd rather get DCC to work.

--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to
purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety."

	- Benjamin Franklin