[clue-tech] Final thoughts on Ubutu Edgy (6.10) almost released

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 09:17:16 MDT 2006

Exciting yet boring. This is without a doubt the best Ubuntu release
yet. On my new technology desktop (nVidia mb, nVidia NIC, nVidia
video, Epson printer and scanner, external USB drive) everything just
works (tm). I have no clue about laptops, since I don't own one.

I have the KDE, Gnome, and XFCE variants on my system, and I can find
no fault with any of them. I still don't like the LiveCD installer
(too damn slow for installation), so I use the alternative CDs (text
mode installer). In theory (I've heard a few negative comments) there
is now even an upgrade path from the LTS release. I haven't tried any
of the gui maintenance features (Gnome or KDE) or even Aptitude, since
I'm a plain ole apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg user. I have the general
impression that this release (KDE and Gnome) uses less memory to get
its work done, but I haven't done any real comparisons.

The startup and shutdown are speedier than on the LTS release and
everything is quite up to date including Firefox 2.0. Unless you have
a really unusual setup, you'll really enjoy this one.

--
Collins Richey