[clue-tech] problems with NAT/router

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 00:41:58 MDT 2006

Angelo,

Not sure exactly what you are looking for -

If you want to reach a single address on your NAT'd LAN from outside,
a DMZ host defined on your router is easiest - all incoming traffic
goes to that host - regardless of TCP port.

If you want to have, say a mail server on one box and a web server on
another, then you need to look at PORT FORWARDING settings on your
router.

For the static hosts on your LAN, just make sure that you assign them
an address on the LAN subnet - usually 192.168.0.x - or 192.168.1.x --
the x should be outside of the DHCP pool that the router's DHCP daemon
serves from - >200 is usually safe, but check your router's settings.

SUBNET MASK is almost certainly 255.255.255.0

When you set the static IP, be sure to set a GATEWAY address that is
the same as the router's LAN address.

DNS on these boxes can point to the router (GATEWAY) address, or your
ISP's DNS ... or just run a cacheing DNS (named) service on the boxes.

I hope this helps.

aloha,
dave

On 10/27/06, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> I've always used DHCP before, but now I want to set a few of my machines
> to a static IP address.  However, with two different routers, whenever I
> set a static IP address I can reach any other machine on my network but
> not the Internet.  I keep getting something that says "network
> unreachable" whenever I try to ping a domain name.
>
> Are there any tricks on these devices that I should know about that
> allow them to NAT the static IP addresses?  I have no idea why they
> wouldn't just do it automatically.
>
> Angelo

aloha,
dave