[clue-tech] Found a nice utility

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Tue Sep 5 09:43:57 MDT 2006

I saw this mentioned on Slashdot with a few people gushing over it, so I
decided to try it for myself:

"YaKuake is a KDE terminal emulator"

It's very simple, you hit the hotkey (Default F12) and a terminal decends
from the top of the screen. Takes up about half of the screeen, full
width. Hit the hotkey again, and it slides back up out of your way. It was
inspired by the command console used in "Quake".

So I gave it try. Count me in with the "Gushing" camp. One key to
instantly bring up a local terminal. Oh, and it has tabs. Got rid of the
icon on my desktop and my right click.

Downside: Whenever I work on on any other computer I find myself hitting
F12 to hide a terminal I'm using.

Erik Z