[clue-tech] What are good methods for uploading files to server from dev system?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Sep 7 01:40:51 MDT 2006

Brian Gibson wrote:
> I've completed a LAMP install on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
> Server.  At least I think I did, since most of the
> install happened without my intervention.
> Post-install pretty much involved setting the mysql
> root password, creating a separate mysql db user,
> disabling the default web site, and adding a few
> virtual hosts to apache on a bunch ip aliases.  Is
> there any other post-install steps that I need to take
> care of?

Is apache configured to handle php?  Probably.  PHP configuration can be
modified on an as-need basis.  Personally, since I have multiple users,
I like to use suPHP, but I find that the default configuration is a bit
restrictive so you might want to recompile it yourself.

> In any case, back to my original question, since this
> is a server install I won't be doing any dev work on
> it.  So what would be the best method of getting my
> application files over to the box?
I just use a shell account and SFTP over SSH.  It's secure and easy.
And if you have someone you don't really want to give full shell access
too, you can install rssh and use it for their shell.  From Windows I
just use FileZilla to transfer files.  Or better yet, you can just use
subversion, and it's easily set using svn+ssh:// and TortoiseSVN.  The
only downside is that it won't cache your password (I think maybe one of
the putty products can do this for you), but at least it gives you easy
access to your repository from Windows.

>   FTP server with
> the www root as the ftp root?  Since development will
> most likely be on a Windows machine for the time
> being, use SAMBA and make the www root a Windows
> network share?  Any other options?
NFS if you want, but I personally think just transferring using SSH is
easier unless you really want a mountable filesystem.