[clue-tech] What are good methods for uploading files to server from dev system?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 7 22:21:47 MDT 2006

Brian Gibson wrote:
[...]
> In any case, back to my original question, since this
> is a server install I won't be doing any dev work on
> it.  So what would be the best method of getting my
> application files over to the box?

Keep all your development work in version control (subversion seems to
be the current favorite, though Linus uses git).  You can make the web
server a client and do check out/export on it.  That's the way the CLUE
server is done.  If you need to you can do other more complex
export/build/configure/package things and then send over with rsync et. al.

Seriously, use version control.  It will save your butt and make you a
better developer.  Also think about the possibility that you might be
running code on your dev box, testers might run it on a test box
(without help from you), and then a third group will install/configure
it on a production box.  Sure, that's probably overkill but it's
important to make your app easy to run in multiple environments and to
have a clean separation between per environment data and the app.

HTH,