[clue-tech] How to repair an overlapped partition

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Sep 9 03:10:12 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> For now I'm avoiding any use of hda3 and Windows as well, but it would
> be nice to be able to correct the problem. Is there a utility that
> will safely perform this type of microsurgery, ie move the starting
> cylinder boundary for hda3 forward by 1 cylinder without disturbing
> any other partitions?
Hmmm, you can do that with fdisk if you like, assuming you have nothing
on hda3 that you care about... you can just destroy it and recreate it
starting at whatever cylinder you want.  But who knows what's on that
overlap?  Did you mess up the NTFS partition by overwriting the very end
of it with a FAT32 table?  I don't know NTFS physically allocates
blocks.  Maybe you want to use ntfsresize to shrink it by one cylinder?

Angelo