[clue-tech] How to repair an overlapped partition

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 09:03:25 MDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> > Collins Richey wrote:
> >> For now I'm avoiding any use of hda3 and Windows as well, but it would
> >> be nice to be able to correct the problem. Is there a utility that
> >> will safely perform this type of microsurgery, ie move the starting
> >> cylinder boundary for hda3 forward by 1 cylinder without disturbing
> >> any other partitions?
> > Hmmm, you can do that with fdisk if you like, assuming you have
> > nothing on hda3 that you care about... you can just destroy it and
> > recreate it starting at whatever cylinder you want.  But who knows
> > what's on that overlap?  Did you mess up the NTFS partition by
> > overwriting the very end of it with a FAT32 table?  I don't know NTFS
> > physically allocates blocks.  Maybe you want to use ntfsresize to
> > shrink it by one cylinder?
> Since you didn't format hda3, I think you can just destroy it without worry.

Clarifications:

1. Partition hda3 has not been formatted; it's just taking up space.
2. hda1is totally intact. NTFS filesystem checked it.

Questions:

1. Does fdisk REALLY do nothing to any of the other partitions if I
delete and reallocate hda3? Can I be sure that such an operation will
not destory anything else on the disk?

--
Collins Richey