[clue-tech] remote X (forward) on gentoo amd64

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 10 16:14:23 MDT 2006

Dave Price wrote:
> xhost +  (I know it is not secure)
> ssh -X remotehost
> ... run my X app, like eclipse, and it shows on my desktop
>
> For some reason, this is not working on gentoo/amd64

Which is not working, xhost + or ssh -X?  They are very different.

With xhost + you set your remote DISPLAY to something like
localmachine:0 (the :0 is the local X server).  Then the window is sent
from the remote machine.  You have to tell your local X server to accept
remote clients (listen on port 6000 or something).  You can google for
how that is enabled (since it isn't secure it is disabled in modern
configurations).

With ssh -X, ssh sets the remote DISPLAY to something like
localhost:10.0 and listens for connections on port 6010.  Any
connections to that port (on the remote machine) get sent back to the
local machine where ssh displays them for you.

After you ssh, echo $DISPLAY.  If it isn't set, fix the settings in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.