[clue-tech] almost there - firefox and flash on gentoo amd64

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Fri Sep 15 13:56:13 MDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:29:25PM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> I took the easy way, per the gentoo howtoo's and used the
> mozilla-firefox-bin (32-bit) and the netscape flash player.
>
> I can play flash, but have no sound....

The 7.0 flash player for Linux uses OSS, I don't
think there is anyway to change that.

Don't know about Gentoo much, but Ubuntu installs
firefox with a rc file as /etc/firefox/firefoxrc.

If you use artsd (KDE) or esd (GNOME), try setting:

FIREFOX_DSP="artsdsp"
or
FIREFOX_DSP="esddsp"

The firefox script wrapper reads this file, and starts
the firefox binary with this as a sound wrapper.

but also note: https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net