[clue-tech] linux ethernet tty-console?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Sep 22 10:44:06 MDT 2006

Hi CLUEbies,

Does anyone know of a way to get the Linux kernel to provide a
console tty-style device over ethernet?  Sort of like telnet or
ssh daemon but built into the kernel.

Yes I know there are security issues.  We're talking LAN only.
I've seen stuff like this  http://www.selenic.com/netpoll/netconsole.patch
which lets you see kernel printk() messages on another system via
ethernet using a utility like netcat or tcpdump or something.

We have a curses application which is the very first thing init
runs during boot-up.  Unfortunately if there is something wrong
with the system the curses application requires user interactive
input (type stuff in dialog boxes, move the cursor between boxes
using the arrow keys, etc.).

Unfortunately this is on a headless server.  Yes we have a
serial console.  Unfortunately these systems are deployed in remote
locations and the serial console cable keeps getting mis-placed
and delivery of a new one is not possible (plus they are $70 a
whack, for the industrial strength explosion proof cable).

The ethernet cable is always connected and we're wondering if
there is some way to get a tty console right from the kernel via
ethernet so we can access the curses application over the
network instead of just via the serial cable which we usually
don't have.

Thanks for any advice,
Jim

PS If you're clever you'll think of these ideas, which they don't
want to do for cost or complexity reasons:

They don't want to buy IP KVMs or "video" cards with an RS232
port.  The motherboard/BIOS does not support RS232 console
because it is not an industrial type motherboard (I've used some
which have RS232 console that even lets you see the BIOS messages).
We can't change the motherboard.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/