[clue-tech] GRUB issues / notes

Jack Parker jack.parker4 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 23 15:03:03 MDT 2006

(FC4)

This was going to be yet another cry for help, but I used the email to help
me debug the problem as I wrote it and solved my problem yielding two
interesting observations in the process

1 - because my boot drive happens to be the third drive according to the
BIOS - during install - under boot loader advanced options I had to
replicate the BIOS ordering of the disks for the install process.  (What was
going wrong was that it was writing to the MBR on sdc when the third drive
was actually sda.  Sure, seems like a no-brainer now)

2 - In the process I moved drive plugs around - I wanted to preserve my
software RAID device - however I did take a chance and changed the order of
the disks - replugging them to make the main disk (3) come up as (1).  In
the process it did not lose my RAID device.  Cool.

j.