[clue-tech] Protecting against the ssh hack

adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Sep 25 20:09:25 MDT 2006

Not advertising your domain name and so forth has nothing to do with
being more cracker-proof. If some guy has a bot on his machine that is
instructed to scan 144.144.0.0-144.144.255.255, and you're in there,
you're gonna get scanned.

Restricting root login can be done in 'sshd_config', which should be
somewhere around /etc/ssh/ .   Change PermitRootLogin or whatever to
'No', and restart sshd.

You can also restrict connections to only people with authorized keys
and disable password authentication.  That's a bit more of a pain -
since if you leave your house and you want in, and your buddy Gilbert
doesn't have your SSH key, you're locked out.

Another way is by moving your SSH server to listen on another port. I
changed my SSH server to listen on another port, and whaddya know, those
pesky scans went away.

All three things will improve security although the third is more
'security through obscurity'. The third option will stop your scnners,
but it won't stop your dedicated crackers.

Adam