[clue-tech] Troubleshooting sound card

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 26 20:48:45 MDT 2006

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> On 09-26 12:42, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>
>> Turn on some music then crack open alsamixer in a terminal as root and
>> toy with all the settings until you find what works (use Esc to exit).
>> Settings like "PCM" can have a significant effect on overall output.
>> You can also use alsamixer as a normal user if you're listed in the
>> "audio" group.
>
> Hm, PCM was already at 100, and master seems to be pinned to the same value
> that the volume up/down control on the laptop set. Still nowhere near as
> loud as on XP.

I keep finding that the default ALSA settings have the chipset support
for "external amplifiers" turned on, which 99.9% of the time, people
don't use.

The comments about fidgeting around with ALSA mixer and especially the
"mute" options is a good one, but I can't say other than the above I've
always found the same setting is the one goofed up.

I wish they'd pick sane defaults.

Nate